9.26.2014

Shilpa Shetty's Yoga 01 Intro & Om Chanting

SS (Shilpa Shetty)
NN (Narration)
00:45
SS
My yoga trainer once said something to me, that made a lot of sense.
He said: "We are all disintegrated. Yoga integrates us."
I understand that now.
01:00
I'm an actress; let's face it: bodies are important.
It's not the joyride everyone imagines it to be.
You really have to work hard towards maintaining yourself.
01:12
buhwuhpeal doesn't help.
I'm very very grateful to God for all the opportunities I've had.
But my life right now? It's complete & utter madness.
01:23
I don't know whether I'm coming or going.
And I've forgotten what sleep feels like.
01:28
I've been thinking there has to be a better way to live my life.
And my parents & friends, have been nudging me in the direction of yoga for a very long time.
It wasn't anything like I'd expected yoga to be.
01:42
Because yoga is a lifestyle choice.
It works on mind, body, & soul.
It... Yes, you could say it integrates you.
Because it is a new way of life.
A better way of life.
A complete way of life.
02:05
02:11
This is why we're here. You, & I.
The results of practicing yoga have been truly astounding for me.
I can tell you one thing, and believe me when I say this.
This is something I will do for the rest of my life.
02:28
02:37
NA
'Yoga' originates from the Sanskrit root 'Yug'.
It means to bind, to join, to attach a yoke;
It also means a union or communion with the Universal Power.
02:50
Most of modern yoga is founded on the Yoga Sutras, written by The Sage Patanjali.
Dating back to about 200 BCE, The Patanjali was the first to systematize the practices of yoga.
The most directly & widely followed of the descendants of Patanjali Yoga is Ashtanga Yoga.
Which is the branch of yoga we will be following in this demonstration.
It is completely internally driven.
There are no weights.
No extraordinary diet regimens.
And certainly no religious mysticism.
03:25
There are other branches of yoga: like Karma Yoga, Jnana Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Mantra Yoga, & the higher levels of Hatha Yoga; some of which embrace & entwine the practices of yoga & religion.
These are branches of yoga that involve lifetime of devotion & study.
And inevitably follow the mastery of yoga in its most basic form.
03:52
Ashtanga Yoga takes its name from two Sanskrit words.
Ashta, meaning eight.
And anga, meaning limbs.
Ashtanga therefore means quite literally: 'the eight-limbed approach (or path)' to yoga.
04:07
Patanjali layed down eight tenets that were to be the fundamentals of the practice of yoga.
These are:
yama
These are five abstentions: violence, lying, theft, illicit sex, & greed.
niyama
The five observances: purity, contentment, austerities, study, & surrender to God.
asana
Meaning seat, which refers to all postures.
pranayama
Loosely translated is life-force control.
It is the process of gaining command over prana: life-force or vital energy.
It primarily involves the act of breathing.
pratyahara
Meaning abstraction.
The reversal of the sense organs.
And using of gradual & controlled withdrawal of oneself from the world.
dharna
Meaning concentration.
An individual fixes his or her attention on the single object.
dhyana
Which is meditation.
The intense contemplation of the true nature of reality.
Leading to
samadhi
Liberation.
A super-conscious state of enlightenment.
05:25
SS
Yoga is vast.
Far too great to be compressed, & demonstrated in an hour.
But, should you choose to make yoga a part of your life,
It will be the most fulfilling thing that many of us will ever know.
That I can promise you.
I, on the other hand, can only show you the way in.
So, shall we?
05:55
["When his mind, intellect, & self are under control, freed from restless desire, so that they rest in the spirit within, a man becomes a Yukta- one in communion with God."
Lord Krishna to Arjana,
Bhagwat Gita, Chapter 6]
My initial fascination with yoga had to do with two things.
One: I can't carry weights with me on outdoor shoots.
Two: I suffer from a terrible cervical spondylosis problem.
I've been looking for a solution for a very long time.
And yoga is one thing which I've discovered, which uses free weights.
Which means you just use your own body weight.
06:25
And the science is so old & so exact
that it has completely eliminated the risks involved
06:34
So it's completely safe.
The exercises are so specific, & superbly designed.
That it makes me feel,
Like I'm in good hands.
06:42
Yoga is the only exercise form that gives you muscle tone, & stretches you ate the same time.
You know so it gives you incredible flexibility.
And it is also the most holistic approach to life that I've ever come across.
But first, a few things that you should bear in mind, when you're doing yoga:
Is that it should be practiced in the morning on an empty stomach.
If you can't take out time in the morning & if you have time in the afternoon,
After you've finished your lunch & maybe after a couple of hours,
Then you can do it.
In the morning, I wake up, maybe have a couple of glasses of water.
And I normally have tea or coffee, & then I start off with yoga in like 15 or 20 minutes.
That's perfectly OK.
So you can have maybe a cup of coffee or tea, & you can start with your yoga regime.
Make sure that you're wearing comfortable clothing.
07:32
And when you're holding a posture, you know it's called the asana,
Make sure that you are not uncomfortable.
If there's any sort of pain or discomfort, please release the asana, but avoid jerky movements.

There will be some pain in the beginning.
But it will go away. Trust me it will.
And like they say: "there is no gain without pain."

So keep breathing normally, through your nostrils, unless directed otherwise
And what are we waiting for? Come on. Let's go.
08:08
[Om Chanting
It is said that Om was the sound that was present at the creation of the universe- the original sound that encapsulates all other sound, all language.]
08:27
NN
It is important to start your workout in the right frame of mind, breathing correctly.
The easiest way to do this is by chanting Om.
Sit in any comfortable cross-legged posture on the ground, close your eyes, breathing normally.
Push the air down to your stomach.
08:46
Ideally, your chest shouldn't move at all.
Now breathe in deeply, & exhale, with the Om sound.
The first few seconds should be the vocalization of the O, with your mouth open.
Then close your mouth and let the "mmm" sound continue, for as long as your breath allows.
You should feel a deep vibration running through most of your skull.
09:11
Repeat thrice.
Keep your eyes closed, & remember to keep breathing normally in-between the deep breaths before each Om recitation.
Chanting Om calms you, focusing your mind inward.
09:33
[Back Asanas]

No comments:

Post a Comment