11.07.2009

Self Discovery Day

So today I was checking out some Google tools, most notably Google Sites and knol (a unit of knowledge - user submitted articles on whatever they know about). I decided to do a search for Crohn's on knol, and found:
"many patients mistakenly restrict dairy products and fruit and vegetables in their diet..." (most people who know me know that once diagnosed with Crohn's disease, I developed a self-diagnosed allergy to milk and pork (particularly sausage) products. (But I still eat pepperoni/cheese pizza like a motherfucker)

So then I looked up lactose intolerance on regular Google, and found on Wikipedia:

Lactose (also present when labels state lactoserum, whey, milk solids, modified milk ingredients, etc.) is a commercial food additive used for its texture, flavour and adhesive qualities, and is found in foods such as processed meats (sausages/hot dogs) etc.

...So I thought to have found an explanation about the sausage, but what about cheese?



all all all---alright!

Fermentation and higher fat content contribute to lesser amounts of lactose in many cheese products. Also, I eat yogurt without issue normally, and found that, "sour cream and ice cream, like yogurt, if made the traditional way, may be tolerable, but most modern brands add milk solids." (Which must be why I can't has ice cream.)

Fun with science!

No comments:

Post a Comment