6.20.2010

There's no time to fuck around.

Stop being stoned, Mary!



This is my computer. I've been obsessing over it for over a year and changed the specs August million times. But I'm getting this setup for real. It's gonna be my birthday gosh damnit.

Case
Cooling
Silverstone Raven R02 90 degree mount 3x180mm bottom intake; 700/1000rpm, 18/27dBA
PSU
1x120mm top exhaust; 950rpm, 18dBA; directly above CPU/RAM
Rocketfish 900W/1000W Peak Modular Vertical PSU mount intakes directly out the back w/ top exhaust
Motherboard
Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler; 2x92mm 1800rpm, 19dBA
Intel DX58SO
CPU RAM GPU O/S SSD Storage HDDs
Intel i7 940 2.93GHz Crucial 6GB DDR3 XFX Radeon HD 5770 Intel X25-M 80GB WD Green 2TB
Bloomfield Quad Core 3x2GB 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 Windows 7 x64 WD Green 1.5TB
4x256MB L2 Cache 1066 PC3 8500 1xHDMI; 1xDP; 2xDVI OSX Snow Leopard WD Green 1.5TB
8MB L3 Cache Cas Latency 7 2560x1600 Max Res Read 250MB/s WD Green 1TB
QPI 4.8 MT/s Triple Channel 7.1 sound over HDMI Write 70MB/s


All is either in my case or on order, except for the new case, and the Cooler Master heatsink. I've painstakingly gone over the specs to get the most compatible main components, and I'm sick of it. I can't wait to put this thing together haphazardly, so I can take it apart again and build it into the case with the cooling and features I want.
As excited as I am about the new hardware, this fucking case gave me goosebumps after I decided to see what was available today and became sorely disappointed with sizes pricing and features over and over, and started wishing I could design my own case-- then I found it. I am in love with it for every reason, and here's why...


Front does not have a god damn door. Front is flush and clean looking. There are no exuberant lights. In fact all of it is pretty well flush and clean looking. Doesn't look like a god damn LEGO UFO had sex with a Trapper Keeper. Side panel does not have a god damn "CPU" fan that does nothing except grind on its own dangling cables that cannot be managed because when you open the case they will pull on the motherboard. Side has a gigantic, simple square-shaped window, showing off the clean, open design. Inside has cable management features that will conceal the cables and actually get them out of the way of the massive airflow. Bottom has three biganquerous intake fans that cover all the internal components neatly, totally, and efficiently. Fans are complete with removable, washable dust filters. Three HDD mounts are just at the bottom and vertical, so that the front-most intake fan blows right across all of them. HDD bay can be pulled out the front. SSD mount is included and concealed. Back has nothing but PSU intake vent. Nothing. Motherboard mounts away from the back, flush to the top, and at a 90 degree angle from standard setups. Motherboard mount includes CPU access from underside for mounting cooling unit. Top has a huge vented cover that conceals all the external ports and attached cabling, and neatly puts them out one central location at the back top corner. Top exhaust is positioned directly above CPU, and otherwise provides August million percent better airflow design than pert'near anything I've seen. Top exhaust incorporates GPU, CPU, and PSU, and actually makes sense physically!

Observe... The placement of the graphics cards, the CPU heatsink, and PSU (black box on the right):


The CPU cooler I've chosen will compliment the airflow pattern perfectly, with a fat ass perpendicular heatsink design incorporating two fans that blow through it directly up to the case's top exhaust fan.



The only weird part about the case itself is going to be that it looks to be over 25" long. I may have to move some stuff around to put this guy under the TV, but that's totally going to be worth it. It will actually be an inch or two shorter in height, which I'm excited about. And I don't have a clue what my box weighs, but the new package will weigh a cool 50 pounds, collectively. Approximately.

Here are links to the hardware:
Case: Newegg
Cooler Master: Newegg
Board: Newegg
CPU: Newegg
RAM: Newegg
GPU: Newegg

By the way, I did order the RAM from Newegg, and plan to order the case and cooler likewise, but the SSD, board, and CPU came from a friend off Intel Retail Edge, and the rest of the hardware are from Best Buy. The Operating Systems are from the internets... Microsoft.com lol

2 comments: