10.08.2009

This makes me rage

Brain Chip May Help the Blind See

An aid in epilepsy, paralysis, and blindness, so says the article. Manipulate computers or prosthetic limbs with nothing but thought. Back up memories and/or thoughts to a physical hard drive. Call information from the internet by pondering it. This has unknowable potential.

And the first sentence of the article implies that our time shall have been spent more valuably finding ways to find and no doubt punish "terrorists." It's this kind of thinking, in my humblest of opinions, that is most likely to lead to the complete relinquishment of freedom. We could use it to correct and better ourselves and the quality of life, but would rather track every individual's behavior and even thought. Let's control their every nature; that should make them happy.

I'm not saying everyone should have the right (notice I didn't say choice) to do whatever they want with total disregard to their surroundings (notice I didn't say the law). Morals should be natural. Taught, certainly. Corrected, maybe. But not forced. Not so that every mundane thought and action is scrutinized, monitored for noncompliance to the almighty norm, hoping to force inaction due to fear. We'd have no spice. No art, no heroes... no release.

Maybe I'm paranoid. Maybe I'm sick of hearing about terrorism. Maybe I should be hunted.

No comments:

Post a Comment