1.22.2009

Day off blog again

Ok, so my whole bank bullshit is taken care of, and I get paid tomorrow, so I get to see if I made my promotion, blah blah blah, my bank's site is down and I can't check if I got all my refunds. Real comforting.

Been catching up with my good old friend Nate the past couple days, and decided to send him the power supply I plan on getting for my machine, as he'd helped me with hardware purchases in the past, and he's looking into some computer upgrading as well. He also showed me some sites (example) where I can save a little money on the same parts (even compared to newegg), etc, and gave lots of great advice that has/will help with the entire adventure of building the PC. However, after saving a little bit of money, I decided to upgrade my monitor to a 25.5 inch widescreen ASUS with DVI/HDMI/Component/RCA in, and I added a few components to the rig for heat cooling.

I can't decide between these two heatsink/fans for the CPU. Specs for fan speed, noise level, weight, and heat distribution are comparable, I'm now going on aesthetics and airflow direction:

I think the total machine, with Windows included, monitor, accesories, cooling and all, as well as a new router I'd wanted, will be about $2300. I've decided to order it bit at a time, starting with shit I can use right away, and finally ending with one huge order, including the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and graphics card (which I have to watch for since it's been out of stock). Together, the four things on the final order will cost just under $1000, but I don't want to be stuck with parts that I have no way of testing for defects, not to mention laying around the house teasing me because I can't use them yet. (And I'm considering my extended warranty options, another possible cost.)

I had lots of laughs while talking to Nate and remembering old inside jokes from going to school, bullshitting, practically living together, building shit, troubleshooting networks, and gaming until we couldn't breathe or think, a lot. But as I filled out the order form for his new PSU, I kept drawing a blank on his last name, and could only think of one of his gaming handles, and I wanted to put "gunner."

Oddly, I always imagined New York having cold water, or at least a limited supply of hot water, particularly for showering, and particularly in apartment buildings. And it's true for me; it's fucking miserable to take a normal shower if someone's just done the same. And I just did. And I'm beginning to think I have a real problem with beginning sentences with 'and' or 'but.' But I'm not bothered enough to try to fix it.

Charged the camera today, deleted the pics I'd already transferred, continued to edit and tweak my myspace and the blog therein, making a post there about a fucked up dream I had, and signed up for twitter, without reason or result.

I liked the way my hair came out after I took my cold shower and didn't brush it:


Here's me with a bad habit (that's a geek squad poster I nabbed):


Me as a fucking nudist giant (partial nip slip):


And the tree, taken a little late in the day, with like a million cars passing at once for some reason:

1 comment:

  1. I dig the first heatsink more so than the second. I suppose the second would have a tad more airflow directly over the processor, but I like the compactness of the first. Also, I'm slightly biased, because I have a fucking HUGE one in my tower like the one in the first pic and it's been amazing at keeping everything incredibly cool.

    ReplyDelete